Learn how to make Homemade Eggless Mayonnaise recipe with step by step pictures. Easy mayonnaise recipe without eggs, made right at home with no preservatives or artificial flavors.
Following the recipe for Homemade Tomato Ketchup, I am sharing yet another easy condiment today – Eggless Mayonnaise. Making mayonnaise at home is very simple and the process is very easy too if you understand the science behind it. Years ago, when I first tasted mayonnaise, it had eggs in it and I couldn’t stand the taste & smell. Later, I did find eggless mayonnaise and slowly started enjoying it. I never attempted to make it at home since it is not that widely used in our home.
Making mayonnaise at home is still unhealthy in my opinion due to amount of oil and fat that goes into it, but it is better than the store-bought packaged stuff. There are no preservatives or artificial flavors in the homemade version and that way, it is considerably safer.
Making Eggless Mayonnaise at Home
Mayonnaise traditionally is made with eggs, oil and vinegar. But since I am not a fan of eggy flavored mayo, I ended up making eggless mayonnaise at home. Instead of the eggs, we use milk but the rest of the process remains the same. All the ingredients are blitzed in a blender in regular intervals until the mixture is emulsified. The emulsification works only when there is almost equal quantities of oil and milk. And vinegar/lemon juice helps with the thickening of the mayonnaise.
Key Ingredients to make Egg-free Mayonnaise
We only need three main ingredients to make mayonnaise at home without eggs.
Oil – use any neutral cooking oil. There should be no taste or smell to it. I used Safflower oil. You could also use Olive Oil.
Milk – use toned/pasteurized milk that has been boiled and cooled down. This recipe doesn’t require full fat milk.
Vinegar/Lemon Juice – acidic ingredient is necessary to emulsify the oil & milk mixture.
Other Flavoring Ingredients like Salt, Sugar, Pepper Powder & Garlic Powder can be added according to the taste preferences.
Tips and Important Notes to make Perfect Homemade Eggless Mayonnaise
- To make mayonnaise without eggs is very easy at home and the only thing to take note of is the recipe measurements. To emulsify the mixture, the ratios of the ingredients are important. Follow the below tips to get your mayonnaise creamy & delicious.
- It is very important to not run the blender/food processor/mixie in high speed continuously. This will just warm the mixture and not emulsify it. Always pulse at regular intervals.
- We will start off with equal amounts of milk and oil, and as the mixture thickens we will add the remaining oil. This will make the mayonnaise creamy.
- We need an acidic ingredient to help break the fat and in this recipe I used Apple Cider Vinegar. Any other vinegar or lemon juice can be also be used.
- The homemade eggless mayonnaise should hold its shape when you scoop it with a spoon. It will thicken further on storing in fridge.
- If your kitchen is warm or the mixture is getting warmer, place it in freezer for 2-3 mins before pulsing again. This will help in emulsifying the mayo easily.
This is the most basic recipe to make Eggless Mayonnaise at home. I have flavored it mildly with garlic and pepper powders. Once you nail this, there are endless flavor combinations. With the same recipe, it is very easy to make –
Chilli Garlic Mayonnaise – blitz finely chopped garlic/garlic powder along with 1 red chilli.
Mint Mayonnaise – add 2-3 tablespoon of very finely chopped mint leaves while pulsing.
Pizza Flavored Mayonnaise – add 1 teaspoon of pizza seasoning along with ¼ teaspoon of dried red chilli flakes.
Cheesy Mayonnaise – add 2-3 tablespoon of finely grated cheddar cheese.
Tandoori Mayonnaise – add ½ teaspoon of tandoori spice powder along with ¼ teaspoon of Kashmiri red chilli powder.
Storing & Serving Suggestions
Scoop out the prepared mayonnaise into a clean & dry sterilized glass jar and keep it refrigerated upto two weeks. It is not recommended to freeze the homemade mayonnaise as it might lose its emulsification. Serve mayonnaise as a condiment with any favorite finger foods or sandwiches. It can also be used as a dressing for any salad.
Check out interesting recipes that go well with mayonnaise on the side
- Homemade Potato Chips
- Low Calorie Falafel
- Beetroot Cutlet
- Golden Onion Rings
- Garlic Bread Sticks
- Crispy Cajun Potatoes
Homemade Eggless Mayonnaise Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
In a blender jar add ½ cup milk and ½ cup oil along with ½ teaspoon black pepper powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar.
Pulse it for over 10-15 times until the mixture is frothy and slightly thicker.
From the remaining ¼ cup oil, add 2 tablespoon oil into the blender.
Continue blitzing/pulsing in small bursts for 10-15 times again. The mixture will be thick now. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
Repeat pulsing for 5-6 times and the mixture should be creamy, thick and lighter.
When you scoop it with a spoon, it should hold shape.
Scoop it out into a clean, dry glass jar and refrigerate upto 2 weeks. Serve as a side with finger foods like chips, fries or as spread in Sandwiches or use as dressing in salads.
- Garlic Powder is optional but adds a great flavor to the mayonnaise. Check out the other flavor combinations in the variations section above.
- Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature before starting the process. If during blending/pulsing they get warm, place the jar in freezer for 2-3 mins before proceeding further.
I would be delighted to know if you have tried this recipe, don’t forget to share your feedback and comments below. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me! I am also available on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter 🙂