Superb, soft and the indisputable champion of affordable dishes, this cabbage feeds a crowd and is delicious to boot! This version of Southern Cooked Cabbage is the best I know. I’ll show you how, come with me.
I’ll even tell you how to make cooked cabbage on the stove, grill, oven, microwave, pressure cooker and instapot because, believe me, southern cooked cabbage is terrific prepared all of those ways! In fact, you could be eating this dish in about 30 minutes!
WHAT CAN I PUT IN MY COOKED CABBAGE?
There are many choices for what to put in your cooked cabbage and once you’ve tried the basic recipe as listed below, add any of the following that you think you might like! In fact, I would love to hear about the extras you enjoy in your cooked cabbage.
- ground beef
- smoked sausage
Is Cooked Cabbage good for me?
As always, this is a loaded question, it depends on what you are looking for in your diet. Are you looking for “Whole” foods that you KNOW what is in the dish, then this is good for you.
Are you looking for a low fat diet item? You will want to leave out the fats and follow the other direections, and then you will be in business.
What about a higher fiber diet? Yes, you’ll find that southern cooked cabbage is right up your alley!
HOW TO COOK COOKED CABBAGE IN A CROCKPOT
First, cook the bacon as directed in a frying pan and then follow the recipe listed below in the recipe box and put all of the ingredients into the crockpot. Set on low and allow to cook for 6-8 hours.
HOW TO MAKE COOKED CABBAGE ON THE GRILL.
You will want to cook the bacon in a frying pan first. Then, simply follow the recipe listed below in the recipe box and put all of the ingredients into a large cooking vessel that you don’t mind becoming blackened by the grill. (I like to use an old dutch oven). Place the lid on the pot, set the grill on medium and close the cover.
Check the southern cooked cabbage every 20 minutes until the cabbage is cooked through and softened.
HOW TO MAKE COOKED CABBAGE IN THE PRESSURE COOKER AND INSTAPOT
Personally, I think it tastes best if you cook the bacon in a frying pan first. Once that is done, place all of the items listed in the recipe box below into the pressure cooker or instapot. Cook under high pressure for 3 minutes and allow the cooker to slow release.
HOW TO MAKE COOKED CABBAGE IN THE MICROWAVE
First, cook the bacon in the microwave on a paper towel and covered with a paper towel. Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
Then, place the items listed below in the recipe box in a large microwave safe bowl. If your microwave won’t hold all of the items, feel free to cut the ingredients listed by half. Cook on high for 3 minutes and check for doneness. Cook for 1 minute more at a time until done.
RECIPE TIPS FOR SOUTHERN COOKED CABBAGE
- There is no point in using your good bacon on this recipe, if you can find the “bits and pieces” of bacon (very inexpensive) available at your store, keep some in your fridge/freezer for these kinds of recipes. Perfect inexpensive solution. ( I bought mine at Trader Joe’s, but I have seen them at my local grocery too).
- You know to discard the first couple of outer leaves on cabbage, right? Thought so.
How to Keep the Smell of Cooked Cabbage Out of Your Kitchen….
- Southern Cooked Cabbage has a smell (it isn’t really a nice smell) when it is cooking. If you can cook it outside, that is ideal. For example use the burner on the end of your grill. I also have a separate burner that I do canning on. Camp stove anyone? That way the smell stays out of the house. Today, I cooked the cabbage on my canning burner.
BUT WHAT ABOUT…. YOU KNOW…. GAS, Does Cabbage Cause Gas?
- Cabbage has the bad reputation of giving people gas. Here are the ways that I have heard that you can address the gas issue ( no idea if they are accurate or if they work individually – you can see from the recipe what I did):
- Add potatoes to your cabbage and cook with the potatoes – the potatoes will absorb the gas making properties of the cabbage,
- adding vinegar to the cabbage while it cooks often helps.
- add baking soda to the cabbage while it cooks, only simmer the cabbage do not hard boil it.
- I do all of these things to my southern cooked cabbage and haven’t noticed that the gas is terrible. Which tip is it that works the best? No idea, but it does.
Read more Boiled Linseed Oil: For Wood and Metal
IF YOU ENJOYED SOUTHERN COOKED CABBAGE, YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY…
Southern Mexican Cornbread
Ultimate Southern Pimento Cheese
Clays’ Famous Three Bean Casserole
Southern Sweet Potato Biscuits
LET’S SEE HOW THIS IS DONE!!
First, cut up the cabbage into chunks and then into strips (if you are wondering how to do this, watch the video in the recipe card!)
Then add butter, bacon, onion and garlic to your Stock pot to cook.
Add the cabbage, stock and other ingredients…
Then add the potatoes and cover and cook until done!
YA’LL, HELP ME OUT, OK?
Please leave me a 5 star comment below in the comment section, all right? I would LOVE to know if you made this recipe or even if you are planning to! Of course, tool on over to Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram and tag me with some photos of your creation!
I can’t wait!
Ya’ll know I love comments!! ❤
A VERSE TO SHARE
This verse is ready for any day of the year, not just the holidays.
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. ~ Isaiah 9:6